Weber State University’s Mackenzie Harrison goes up against University of Wyoming’s Mollee Ramsay.

The Weber State University women’s soccer team dropped back-to-back games over the weekend against the University of Nevada and the University of California, Santa Barbara.

UN’s Sarah Schmeda scored the goal that put the game into overtime in the 74th minute when Chrisalyn Fonte passed the ball 30 yards and Schmeda one-touched the ball into the net. Schmeda scored her second goal in the second minute of overtime, winning the game for UN 3-2 at Mackay Stadium.

UN started off scoring in the 18th minute of the first half. Chelsea Fricke scored off of UN’s first corner kick of the match, taken by Madison Lorenzen.

WSU Coach Tim Crompton said that, overall, he was pleased with the way his team played against the Wolf Pack attack.

“Collectively, the team did well on the defensive side,” Crompton said. “We have a good defensive team.”

The Wildcats started eight freshmen and three returning players. WSU was held scoreless in the first half, but came back in the second half, scoring two goals within minutes of each other. Freshman Chansi Crompton scored from eight yards out to the top left corner to tie the match 1-1, assisted by Ari Aki.

“Offensively, we have really good, dynamic players,” Crompton said. “As a group, we have really good rhythm.”

Only five minutes after WSU’s first goal, sophomore defender Mackenzie Day scored from 15 yards out, putting WSU in the lead for the match at 2-1.

With 15 minutes left in the second half, Schmeda tied up the score. Both teams fought until the end of regulation time, not allowing any goals.  WSU had one shot on goal after the match was tied up, while UN had four shots. At the end of the second half, both WSU and UN had an equal amount of shots on goal with seven shots each.

Schmeda took WSU by surprise in the 92nd minute on a breakaway down the field, touching the ball to the left side and scoring the match-winner.

Despite the loss, Crompton said he is pleased with the way the team is playing and thinks they are coming together well as a team. WSU’s goalie freshman, Danielle MacKay, made six saves during the match against UN.

Following the loss to UN, the Wildcats stayed on the road to take on UCSB. WSU lost 2-1, with all three goals coming in the last 15 minutes of the match.

The Gauchos scored in the 76th and 79th minutes to take a 2-0 lead before freshman forward Mackenzie Harrison pulled one back in the 86th to make it 2-1. Freshman midfielder Chansi Crompton had the assist on the goal, her team-leading third of the season.

WSU played a much better second half of the match, recording 10 of its 12 shots in the match during the second half, led by Harrison’s six shots.

With the two losses, WSU’s record drops to 2-7 on the season. This away trip was the last road trip for the Wildcats until their first Big Sky Conference game Friday, Sept. 21 at Eastern Washington University.

Share: twitterFacebookgoogle_plus

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.