Classes are winding down, finals week is quickly approaching and most people are itching for winter break to be here already. The break is a great refresher between fall and spring semester in which students are allowed to relax, even if it is only for a little while.
- Sleep: For most college students, life is filled with late nights and missed naps. During winter break you should utilize that extra free time in your schedule to catch up on all the sleep you missed. So feel free to hit the snooze button and sneak in a few extra cat naps throughout the day.
- Enjoy quality time with loved ones: School often equals a hectic schedule. Throw work and extracurricular activities into the mix, and your time can be used up in a hurry. Holidays are known for bringing together family and friends who might not get to see each other very often. Take time during the break to spend time with your family. Spending time with family doesn’t always have to mean doing an expensive activity. Something as simple as taking a drive while listening to some good tunes can be a fun and inexpensive way to spend time together.
- Get healthy: Eating healthy and exercising might seem a little backwards because the holidays are usually jam-packed with massive dinners and sweets galore. Although, it doesn’t sound that weird when you reflect on your eating habits during the semester. When our schedules are filled to the brim we often opt for unhealthy options because most of the time they are the easiest and fastest. With more free time during the break you’ll have a better chance to create and enjoy healthier meals. This is also a good time to start a new exercise routine. Don’t wait for the new year to make a resolution to get to the gym.
- Put the electronics down: So much of our lives are now online. We have classes and jobs that require us to be plugged in to the computer or our cell phone for a good chunk of the day. When life slows down during winter break it is a good time to cut down on the electronics, which can be impossible during the semester. You can limit the time you are using electronics by reserving a few hours each day to completely unplug and put them away. This will give you more time to focus on family, friends and enjoying the holiday break.
- Start preparing for next semester: First of all let me just say that you shouldn’t do this immediately after finals end. Allow yourself some time to enjoy the break in other ways, but don’t let spring semester sneak up on you. Spend some time setting some goals, perfecting your class schedule and getting everything ready for next semester. It is also a good idea to invest in a planner and begin budgeting your time. Preparing will leave you feeling at ease when next semester comes around.
So hit snooze, eat well and remember that no matter how you’re spending winter break, the most important thing is to enjoy yourself! Use these suggestions and come up with a few of your own to ensure that your break from school is well spent.