1. Initially, Attorney General William Barr summarized Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report on Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. election in a four-page memo he wrote for Congress. Afterward, Barr faced pressure from Congressional Democrats to release the full report. He recently announced his decision on the matter; what was it?
a. Barr has no plans to release any more of the report in any form
b. Barr will revise his summary of the report and release a new version to Congress this coming week
c. Barr will release the entire report to Congress this coming week
2. Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen, who recently instructed the State Department to cut nearly $500 million in aid to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, resigned April 7. While Nielsen supported many of President Donald Trump’s policies, she also bore the brunt of the White House’s blame for spikes in migrant crossings since October last year. Who has Trump appointed as acting Homeland Security secretary in Nielsen’s stead?
a. Claire M. Grady, the DHS Senior Official currently performing the duties of Deputy Secretary
b. U.S. Customs and Border Protection commissioner Kevin McAleenan
c. DHS Military Advisor Eric C. Jones
3. Which presidential candidate for 2020 was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, a diagnosis which the candidate has said will not prevent him from running?
a. Former Vice President Joe Biden
b. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
c. Colorado Sen. Michael Bennett
4. The Broward County school board in South Florida suspended a Western High School teacher for three days after the teacher allegedly did what?
a. Assaulted a student
b. Showed a video with nude models in it during class
c. Kissed and hugged multiple students without the students’ consent
5. Billie Eilish has a spot at Coachella and, according to Billboard, the second-highest opening album of the year to Ariana Grande’s “Thank You, Next.” Eilish’s age has been a particular talking point among music fans, in a world where superstars like Halsey, at 24, appear young in comparison to other artists who have held the spotlight, such as Katy Perry and Justin Timberlake. What fact did Eilish recently reveal about herself in an interview with the Los Angeles Times?
a. She has not yet finished high school
b. She has not yet obtained her driver’s license
c. She didn’t know what Coachella was until she was invited to it
1. c. On April 9, Barr said he plans to release the full Mueller report to Congress the following week, according to the Los Angeles Times. Barr said that the Justice Department was working through the document and redacting sensitive information in the nearly-400 page report, but that the process should be complete soon.
2. b. Trump went outside the chain of command of the organization and appointed McAleenan as acting secretary, which has drawn criticism from some for McAleenan’s ties to the Obama administration, according to the McClatchy Washington Bureau. McAleenan served as deputy commissioner for U.S. Customs and Border Protection under Obama. Nielsen has called the situation at the border a crisis and has called for Congress to reform immigration laws in order to address the matter.
3. c. Bennett received a prostate cancer diagnosis last week but announced on April 7 that he would still be running for the presidency. According to Bloomberg News, Bennett has said he doesn’t think the diagnosis should keep him from campaigning and that he believes the diagnosis is treatable.
4. b. Art teacher Brenda Fischer was suspended for three days for showing a video with nude models in it during her art class, according to the Sun Sentinel. The complaint to the school board said students described suggestive pictures in the video. While the Broward Teachers Union is defending Fischer, according to the Sun Sentinel, she has had disciplinary issues in the past: she was fined $750 in Oct. 2018 after incidents the previous year of touching students and kissing students on the cheek, and in 2017, she received a statement from the district instructing her to refrain from touching any students.
5. b. According to the Los Angeles Times interview, Eilish has not yet obtained her driver’s license. She has her learner’s permit and still drives with her mother, but Eilish said she plans on taking the test later this month. Thrust into fame just over three years ago and signed by Interscope Records at 14, Eilish simply hasn’t had the time to take the driving test.