1. The Biden administration released a report on Sept. 8 showing how the nation could meet the ambitious goal of covering 45% of total energy consumption with solar power by 2030. What percentage of energy in the U.S. is currently solar?
2. A teenager recently pleaded guilty to the shooting death of Satnam Singh, who was killed in Ogden on Feb. 28. What maximum sentence would come with his plea?
a. 10 years
b. 5 years
c. 8 years
d. 15 years
3. Which previously listed vulnerable species has recently been reclassified as endangered and “moving towards extinction” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature?
a. African bush elephant
c. Giant panda
d. Komodo dragon
4. On Sept. 11, the BYU Cougars broke a losing streak against the Utes, winning 26–17. When was the last time BYU defeated Utah?
5. What state hit a new record for daily COVID-19 cases on Sept. 11?
d. West Virginia
1. The correct answer is A, 4%. According to the New York Times, the country would have to double the amount of solar energy installed every year over the next four years and then double it again by 2030 in order to reach the 45% goal by that year.
2. The correct answer is B, 5 years. According to Fox 13 Salt Lake City, Antonio Garcia was 15 years old when he shot and killed Singh during a holdup at the Super Grocery store at 675 N. Monroe Blvd. in February. Garcia now faces a maximum of five years to life in prison.
3. The correct answer is D, Komodo dragon. According to the New York Times, they are the world’s largest living lizard and live in areas that are vulnerable to illegal hunting and habitat clearance.
4. The correct answer is A, 2009. According to the Deseret News, this game broke a nine-game losing streak for BYU against rival University of Utah.
5. The correct answer is D, West Virginia. According to The Hill, on Saturday, the state surpassed the previous record set nine months ago with 1,821 new cases.