20130826vs ucsb (Tyler Brown)-3
(photo by Tyler Brown)
Weber State University women’s soccer player Abbey Kennedy advances the ball in a game against the University of California, Santa Barbara. The Wildcats played two games over the weekend, netting a win and a loss.

The Weber State University women’s soccer team continued its road trip over the weekend with a come-behind victory against the University of Wyoming on Friday and a shutout loss to the University of Utah on Sunday.

On Friday, the Wildcats got off to a slow start as the Cowgirls got two goals in the first 20 minutes of play, marking the first time this season that the Wildcats have allowed more than one goal in a single match.

As the first half winded down, WSU forward Mackenzie Harrison took a strong strike 35 yards outside and into the goal to make the score 2-1. The score remained the same going into halftime.

“We didn’t start the game out as well as we would have liked, and we went down 2-0,” Harrison said. “Then we started to figure out the field, and I took a shot from about 35 yards out that made it 2-1.”

In the second half, the Wildcats took nine shots compared to the Cowgirls’ five. Though WSU dominated the possession of the ball throughout the half. However, an equalizing goal didn’t come until the 80th minute when Brecken Holbrook one-touched a pass from junior Abbey Kennedy into the left side of the goal.

“I saw Abbey take it up the end line and the middle opened, so I went for it and Abbey played me a perfect pass,” Holbrook said.

With the match tied and time quickly winding down, Chansi Crompton found Harrison, who put in the game-winning goal in the 87th minute, her second goal of the match.

“I was proud of the patience the girls showed and their ability to stick with the system after we went down early,” said WSU head coach Tim Crompton. “It was an uphill battle with the size of the field; however, the girls adjusted and really knocked the ball around after the first 20 minutes.”

Sunday, however, didn’t go nearly as well as WSU might have hoped.

To start the game off, Holbrook was taken out of the game after receiving a facial laceration just six minutes into the game. She collided with the Utes’ Baylee Nielsen and was transported to a nearby hospital to receive stitches.

While the Utes had only five shots on goal, they shot with great accuracy and managed to get four of those shots to go in, two in each half. The Wildcats, on the other hand, only got four shots on goal, none of which were able to find the nylon.

Coach Crompton gave no excuses and put a positive spin on the loss.

“We played poorly today, disappointing, no doubt,” he said. “I realize it was the end of a long weekend, but that’s not an excuse for us. Give Utah credit. They took it to us and we didn’t respond well. However, I am confident we will be better for it in the long run.”

The Wildcats are now 3-2-2 as they head into their last road game against Utah State University this Saturday at 1 p.m. before starting conference play at home on Sept. 26 against the University of Montana.

Share: twitterFacebookgoogle_plus

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.