A call to the Ogden City Fire Department postponed an Ogden Symphony and Ballet performance at the Val A. Browning Center early Thursday evening.
Chief Davis (first name not given) with the fire department said they received a call from the building complaining of a smell of smoke coming from the southwest corner of the third floor at 5:59 p.m. After arriving at the scene, the fire crew evacuated the building. Patrons, as well as students rehearsing in another part of the building, were relocated to the Kimball Visual Arts Building and Shepherd Union Building.
Although the fire department could not confirm smoke, “it doesn’t mean there isn’t any,” Davis said.
After Dennis Montgomery, Weber State University’s fire marshal, had thoroughly checked out the building, patrons and students were allowed back in at around 7:45 p.m. The show resumed on a shortened schedule and started at 8:10 p.m.
More information on the incident will be released as it becomes available.