1. What did President Donald Trump put pressure on the Justice Department to investigate this past week?
a. An anonymous opinion piece published in the New York Times
b. Emails sent to several democratic senators
c. Brazil’s President
2. Which country is Maria Butina accused of being a spy for?
3. CBS Corps. CEO Leslie Moonves resigned this week without a severance package amid which accusation?
a. Insurance fraud
b. Insider trading
c. Sexual assault
d. Falsifying sources
4. Which hurricane is baring down on North and South Carolina?
5. Mark D’Amico, the man who is accused of misusing GoFundMe donations for the homeless man, Johnny Bobbitt, was arrested for what on September 10?
d. Other outstanding warrants
1. a. An anonymous op-ed piece in the New York Times raised concern in the White House when it claimed that many of Trump’s subordinates were trying to undermine his presidency. According to the Los Angeles Times, “The Justice Department declined to comment on whether it planned to take action in response to the president’s request.”
2. c. Butina has been imprisoned for allegedly being a spy for Russia. Efforts by Russia to secure her release have called into question her ties to the U.S. “Prosecutors say that while at American University in Washington, Butina attempted to make contact with two presidential candidates and exert influence over politics through prominent conservative groups, which media accounts have identified as the National Rifle Association and the National Prayer Breakfast,” according to Bloomberg News.
3. c. “Bowing to pressure brought on by a sexual harassment scandal, CBS Corp. Chairman and Chief Executive Leslie Moonves resigned Sunday,” according to the Los Angeles Times. CBS announced the Moonves’ will be donating $20 million dollars to organizations that support the #MeToo movement. Moonves was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women.
4. b. Hurricane Florence is rapidly approaching North and South Carolina and has gained wind speeds up to 140 mph. It is now a Category 4 Hurricane, and evacuation took place on Sept. 11. According to CNN, “The National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane warning for the coast from Duck, North Carolina, and the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds, to the South Santee River, South Carolina. Hurricane warnings are issued 36 hours before tropical storm force winds hit the areas, and indicate hurricane conditions will follow.” The storm is expected to land on Sept 13 or 14.
5. d. Mark D’Amico was arrested for having several warrants out for his arrest that were unrelated to the GoFundMe scandal, regarding the $400,000 raised for Johnny Bobbitt that went missing. According to Fox News, “A New Jersey man at the center of an investigation into where the $400,000 raised for a homeless Samaritan went, was arrested for unrelated outstanding warrants Monday night.”