The Student News Site of Weber State University

The Signpost

The Signpost

The Signpost

The Signpost

Latest YouTube Video

Bamforth balances basketball and parenthood

[media-credit id=13 align=”alignright” width=”200″][/media-credit]
Weber State University's Scott Bamforth brings the ball up court during a recent game. This season, Bamforth has had to balance basketball, and being a father.
This time last season, all Scott Bamforth had to worry about was playing basketball, a year later he’s married and recently became a father to Kingzton John Bamforth.

Things were rough for Kingzton at first. After he was born, he had to spend some time in the Intensive Care Unit and nearly died. Now he is home and doing well. Since the birth of Kingzton, Bamforth has had to figure out how to balance his family, basketball and school. It’s something that he said can be both challenging and rewarding.

“It’s a lot different, but it’s fun at the same time,” Bamforth said.

He also said that the new additions in his life have made things more enjoyable and have helped him see the most important things in life.

“It’s actually been a lot of fun,” Bamforth said. “My son and my wife are always first in my life no matter what. It’s been kind of fun when I come home from practice or working out. I get to come home to my son and see him smiling.”

One thing that is often difficult for new parents is adapting to a new sleeping schedule, but Bamforth said that it works well with him and his wife because he is a night owl.

“Obviously with a newborn baby,” Bamforth said, “they’re awake throughout the night, but I’m a night person. I’m always up no matter what till three or four in the morning, so I stay up with him then my wife takes over when I go to sleep or go to class.”

This year, Bamforth has been a key part of WSU’s 4-1 start to the season, including hitting 10 out of his first 12 three point attempts of the year. Damian Lillard said that having him on the court helps everyone else perform better.

“It’s fun playing with Scott because he’s another guy on the guard line other than Bull (Kyle Bullinger) that can take the pressure off me and make teams pay,” Lillard said. “He’s also a really smart player and brings a lot to the table.”

Lillard also said that opposing teams have to respect Bamforth and guard him heavily, which opens up opportunities for other players on the team.

Bamforth said that one of the toughest things about balancing basketball with being a new father is when he has to leave his family and go on a road trip. Last week, he had to leave for the first time when WSU headed to California for a three-game road trip.

“Last year,” Bamforth said, “when I would go on road trips, I had my wife back home and now that I have my son, I really miss being home. Not that I didn’t before, but I miss him a lot. So when I’m on the road, I try to iChat with my wife so I can see him a lot.”

Bamforth said that his wife Kendra works hard while he is on the road to take care of Kingzton. He said it’s nice to know that when he’s on the road, things will be okay at home.

“It’s tough for her, but she’s a strong girl,” Bamforth said. “She does a great job of taking care of him. The worst part is I wish I could help her. She gets really tired being up for so long with him.”

This year has started out well for Bamforth and the Wildcats. With the season now going strong, Bamforth has found his stride, both as a shooting guard and a father.